Catholic Recipe: Halushky or Knedliki
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup uncooked farina
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk or buttermilk
- 6-8 quarts salt water
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- sour cream (optional)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: Ukraine
In Slovakia they are called halushky. They should be extremely light and tender. Serve these dumplings, smothered with fried onions, instead of other starches.
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, farina, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
2. Add the butter in small pieces. Crumble the flour mixture with your fingertips to form a coarse meal.
3. Add the eggs and milk. Stir until the batter is smooth.
4. Bring the salted water to a boil. Using two tablespoons, drop the batter into the boiling water. Cover, and simmer for 8 minutes. Cook 6 to 8 at a time.
5. Remove cooked dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and place them in a buttered ovenproof dish. Keep warm in a slow 250°F oven until all the dumplings and the topping are done.
6. To prepare the topping, melt the butter in a skillet. Saute the sliced onions until they are light brown and starting to crisp. Remove from heat.
7. Cover the dumplings with the fried onions. Serve accompanied by a bowl of sour cream, if you wish. Yield: About 12 to 15 dumplings.
8. Leftover halushky are delicious fried in butter or bacon fat.
9. Traditional Ukrainian Cookery.Recipe Source: Information from Various Websites
Recent Catholic CommentaryWhile praising the Pope, Time ignores his advice 20 hours agoMore Legal Challenges ahead for the Church? December 10Book chapter 4: A Heritage Stolen December 10
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysPope Francis gives us a blueprint for his pontificate [News analysis] CWN - November 26US bishops pledge to resist ‘heavy burden’ of HHS mandate CWN - November 14Concluding Year of Faith, Pope hails Christ the King CWN - November 25Pope Francis issues major document on evangelization (link to full text) CWN - November 26Copyright © 2013 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.