Catholic Recipe: New Year's Rolls
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Yield: 12 rolls
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Day Eight ~ Activities for New Year's Day
- Day Seven ~ Activities for New Year's Eve
- New Year's Day Ceremony
You'll enjoy this delicate lemon flavored bread with coffee or tea for a festive snack. Make rolls ahead and freeze until ready to use for your New Year's gathering.
1. Heat milk, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt to hot (120-130 degrees). Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and yeast.
2. Add egg and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth - about 10 minutes.
3. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough. Cover with inverted bowl; let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Roll into 8 x 12-inch rectangle. Cream 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter with lemon peel and cardamom. Spread over dough.
6. Roll up jelly-roll style. Slice crosswise into 12 pieces. Place cut side down in greased muffin pans.
7. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 30 minutes.
8. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven about 20 minutes or until done.
9. Make icing by mixing confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls. Cool on wire rack.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Recent Catholic CommentaryThe Problem with Catholic Social Teaching 4 hours agoAs Catholic News Unfolds... August 19
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysCopyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.