Catholic Recipe: New Year's Rolls
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Yield: 12 rolls
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Day Eight ~ Activities for New Year's Day
- Day Seven ~ Activities for New Year's Eve
- New Year's Day Ceremony
You'll enjoy this delicate lemon flavored bread with coffee or tea for a festive snack. Make rolls ahead and freeze until ready to use for your New Year's gathering.
1. Heat milk, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt to hot (120-130 degrees). Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and yeast.
2. Add egg and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth - about 10 minutes.
3. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough. Cover with inverted bowl; let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Roll into 8 x 12-inch rectangle. Cream 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter with lemon peel and cardamom. Spread over dough.
6. Roll up jelly-roll style. Slice crosswise into 12 pieces. Place cut side down in greased muffin pans.
7. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 30 minutes.
8. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven about 20 minutes or until done.
9. Make icing by mixing confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls. Cool on wire rack.Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler, Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1982
Recent Catholic CommentaryThe Synod: It's a Wrap! October 21A chaotic synod? Not in its results October 21Cardinal Kasper's unsubtle threat October 21
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysKey synod report calls for 'gradualism' in Church response to irregular family situations CWN - October 13Cardinal Parolin: UN must protect innocents from Islamic State CWN - September 30Synod of Bishops opens with Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica CWN - October 6Copyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.