Catholic Recipe: Salata de Cartofi (Greek Potato and Olive Salad)
- 1 lb cold boiled potatoes
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1/4 cup green olives
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 small washed lettuce, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. castor (table) sugar
- 3 tsp. vinegar
- olive oil
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 11+
- Origin: Romania
This salad goes particularly well with lamb, which is a traditional dish in many places at Easter. It could be served with the Greek Easter Lamb dish, leaving out the sliced potatoes.
1. Slice the potatoes. Chop the onions and cut the eggs into wedges. Mix together with the olives and lettuce.
2. Mix the water, sugar and vinegar together and toss the salad in it.
3. Sprinkle liberally with olive oil.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990
Recent Catholic CommentaryDenial of Service Attack: Success! December 19Federal debt as a social-justice concern December 19
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysPope Francis: Europe seems 'elderly and haggard' CWN - November 25Pope Francis, Ecumenical Patriarch sign joint declaration, lament persecution of Christians CWN - December 1Consistory for new cardinals scheduled for February CWN - December 11Vatican report on US women religious calls for further self-assessment CWN - December 16Pope brokered deal to open US-Cuba ties CWN - December 17Copyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.