Catholic Recipe: Kulich (Russian Sweet Easter Bread)
Also Called: Resurrection Bread; Koulich; Koulitchy; Koolitch
Traditional Russian Easter bread, with the word 'PAX' inscribed across the top.
1. Warm the milk to blood heat (body temperature). Sprinkle on the yeast and one teaspoonful of sugar. Add half of the flour, mix well and allow to go frothy.
2. Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the yeast mixture and all the other ingredients.
3. Knead well until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size.
4. Traditionally this bread is baked in tall cans (you can use well greased old soup, bean or coffee cans), or mould the dough to form the letters of the word 'PAX' meaning peace.
5. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cool on cooling tray and then decorate with icing and glace cherries.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990