Catholic Recipe: Paasbrod (Dutch Easter Bread)
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp mixed spice (pumpkin spice)
- 1 cup currants (or raisins) and sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1 tbsp chopped candied peel
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup castor (table) sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Prep Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Difficulty: • • • •
- Cost: $$$$
- For Ages: 15+
- Origin: Holland
- Kulich (Russian Sweet Easter Bread)
- Babka Osterbrot (Easter Bread)
- Lambropsomo (Greek Easter Bread)
- Paskha (Ukrainian Easter Bread)
Also Called: Easter Bread
Traditional Easter bread from Holland.
1. Warm the milk to blood heat (body temperature) and add the yeast and the sugar.
2. Sieve the flour and the spice into a bowl and add the yeast mixture. Mix together to form a dough, cover and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
3. Gradually work in the fruit and the melted butter.
4. Knead on a floured surface and roll out to an oblong 10 x 5 in./25 x 13 cm.
5. Mix the almond paste ingredients to form a firm paste. Roll this into a long sausage-shape and place on the rolled out dough.
6. Roll the dough round the almond paste forming the join at the bottom. Glaze with milk and put on a greased baking tray. Allow to rise until doubled in size.
7. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then 325 degrees for a further 45 minutes or until evenly golden brown.
8. Allow to cool and serve sliced with plenty of butter.Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson, Lion Publishing Corporation, Batavia, Illinois, 1990
Recent Catholic CommentaryAnatomy of Conversion November 21Anatomy of Conversion November 21It is a failure of mercy to deny sin November 20Yesterday's news, tomorrow November 20
Top Catholic NewsMost Important Stories of the Last 30 DaysCopyright © 2014 Trinity Communications. All rights reserved.