Catholic Activity: Practical Suggestions for Christian Living (Penance)
Here are ways to become aware of your sins and weaknesses so that you are able to grow in holiness.
1. Get into the habit of examining your conscience daily; it helps on confession days.
2. Prepare well before going into the confessional to avoid unnecessary delay.
3. Avoid over-lengthy examination of conscience; it may lead to scrupulosity.
4. Remember, the seal of confession binds the penitent also; you are not permitted to reveal a sin, the confession of which you overheard.
5. Never worry about past confessions; get advice from your confessor when in doubt about any spiritual matter.
6. Keep a regular confessor if at all possible; it makes for a healthier spiritual life.
7. Strive to acquire a delicate conscience by trying to be heartily sorry for all willful sin.
8. Keep conversation regarding this sacrament sacred; never discuss the advice, penance imposed, and the manner of the confessor.
9. Pray frequently for your Father Confessor.
10. Make the best possible use of indulgenced prayers; it lessens your time in purgatory.
11. Bear the trials, pains, and misfortunes of daily life in a spirit of penance and surrender to God's holy will.
12. Mortify your tastes and inclinations in some way each day.
Activity Source: Our Christian Home by Rev. Joseph A. Fischer, Seraphic Press, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1954