Society of diocesan priests established in 1642 by Abbé Olier mainly to prepare men for the priesthood. The name is derived from its headquarters at St. Sulpice, in Paris, France. Their official title is Compagnie des Prêtres de Saint-Sulpice. First approved in 1664, their definitive approbation by the Holy See was in 1931. Their characteristic spirituality is to foster interior abnegation with a view to perfect "adherence" to the interior feelings of Christ.