Present day site of the ancient city of Ugarit on the Syrian coast. In the fifteenth century it was a commercial center, but it eas destroyed by invaders. The ruins, completely buried, were discovered in 1928. The site was fully excavated by French archaeologists between 1929 and 1933, and further explored since 1946. Extensive records of Canaanite culture and religion have been found.