CONGREGATION FOR RELIGIOUS AND SECULAR INSTITUTES
Originally established by Pope Sixtus V in 1588, it was reorganized by Pope Pius X in 1908. Its competence extends to all religious orders and congregations, societies of common life, secular institutes, third orders--whether of men or women. It has no territorial limits, and no questions pertaining to a life of perfection need be remitted to other Roman congregations. It has power of dispensation and, as required, important affairs, such as the approval of constitutions, quinquennial reports and formation, are confided to various commissions. In 1967 it established a School of Practical Law for Religious. Since 1975 it has issued its own official quarterly Informationes, published in English as Consecrated life by the Institute on Religious Life. (Chicago).