A late-fourth-century manuscript of the Greek Bible, sold by the Soviet Government to the British Museum in 1933. It contains the entire Old Testament, all the books of the New Testament along with the Epistle of Barnabas and part of the Shepherd of Hermas. It is written on vellum, with each page in four columns. Several hands took part in the writing, and the text has been revised by a number of correctors. Its name comes from the fact that the manuscript was discovered in 1844 by Tischendorf (1815-74) in the Orthodox monastery of St. Catherine on Mount Sinai. It thus found its way into the Imperial Library at St. Petersburg.