Translation text, cont.
By Diogenes (articles ) | Jun 14, 2004
The trouble with the first CWN translation test (below) is that it went from English to Latin: something that a contemporary liturgical translator would never do. Let's try again, going from Latin to English, and using the techniques with which post-conciliar translators have made us familiar.
Comments on my efforts, or alternative translations, are welcome.
- My ideas define my conception of existence
- We are Church
- Support the nuclear freeze
- [No translation.] Where this phrase appears in the original, it is simply to be ignored.
An appeal from our founder, Dr. Jeffrey Mirus:
Dear reader: If you found the information on this page helpful in your pursuit of a better Catholic life, please support our work with a donation. Your donation will help us reach seven million Truth-seeking readers worldwide this year. Thank you!
All comments are moderated. To lighten our editing burden, only current donors are allowed to Sound Off. If you are a donor, log in to see the comment form; otherwise please support our work, and Sound Off!
Posted by: -
Jun. 15, 2004 9:12 AM ET USA
Sorry, but I think #2 should read "We are Baal".
Posted by: -
Jun. 14, 2004 12:21 PM ET USA
- I think, therefore my conscience dictates what is right.
- The voice of God speaks through Voice of the Faithful.
- If you want peace, don't be warlike.
- (God's love is warm and tender, requiring no conversion except possibly away from nastiness and intolerance) At all times, in all places, and for all persons (as well as those animals for which we need to have greater understanding and respect, as they are just as much a gift of God as human beings...